Milk supply can be a huge source of stress for working moms who are breastfeeding. Never fear! There are things you can do to keep things flowin.
Here’s the rundown of a few recommendations that are super easy to incorporate into your daily work routine…
- Stay hydrated – Keep a water bottle at your desk so that you always have it within reach, it will serve as a reminder to keep hydrated.
- Oatmeal – Along with a healthy balanced diet, try incorporating oatmeal (old fashioned not instant) into your breakfast routine. It is a great source of iron and when made with milk can further increase calcium intake, additionally it contains properties to lower cholesterol and maintain a healthy blood pressure so it is a great way to start your day!
- Oatmeal doesn’t have to be boring – checkout Mason Jar Breakfast for a ton of easy to make breakfast recipes!
- Fenugreek – This herb is known as a ‘galactagogue’ (a substance that increases milk supply) you can find capsules in the vitamin/supplement aisle of most stores. Take 2 capsules two to three times daily.
- You may recognize the smell – it’s used as an artificial flavor in maple syrup.
- Mother’s Milk Tea – It is packed with different herbs that are recommended to increase supply. Tastes a bit like black licorice, but if you’re into that or can power through it’s worth a try!
- Brewer’s Yeast – Use it to make oatmeal lactation cookies, they make a delicious treat! Pair them with some Mother’s Milk Tea for a mid-afternoon snack.
- Here’s a great video on how to make lactation cookies.
Incorporating some or all of the items listed above into your daily routine at work along with scheduled pumping sessions should help keep things flowin. Remember – stress will only hurt your production so make sure to make stress relief a priority. Hopefully incorporating these tips will help you worry less about your supply!
P.S. The lactation cookie video is from What’s Up Mom’s, an awesome YouTube channel. They have a little bit of everything – do yourself a favor and check it out!