Time to style that baby bump for work on a steal! Get over to the LOFT.com to check-out their sale – 50% + free shipping! They have some awesome maternity staple pieces which are on my MUST HAVE list for anyone expecting.
Don’t forget to dress up your style with a little bling!
Featured in the gallery:
Though I personally resisted purchasing maternity wear for awhile, mostly because I was totally freaked out by the fact that this was even happening – by this I mean having a baby. (And for the record, yes, I did get pregnant on purpose. I am weird about change, but more on that later).
I totally recommend purchasing a few staples pieces for work sooner rather than later. It’s much easier now to look stylish when pregnant than it was in our mother’s day and as proof we have a plethora of options at our disposal.
Fortunately, I work at an ad agency which means that my daily wear isn’t very strict. I was free to pair maternity items with non-maternity flowy tops or maxi dresses with cardigans. Whatever your workplace wardrobe specifications, here are a few must have items to add to your list…
- Classic Black Pants – x2
- Full Panel – x1
- Demi Panel – x1
- Dresses -x2
NOT SO SAME DIFFERENCE – COMPARISON – DEMI vs. FULL PANEL
Pants Extender Belly Band
If you’re early enough in your pregnancy you may get some additional wear out of your slacks if you pick-up a pants extender.
- Pants Extender – The belly band gets an honorable mention as a commonly used extender for your pants, it’s a band of elastic fabric that spans 6-8″ which you place over your unbuttoned pants to hold them up
- Allows you to continue to get wear out of your current wardrobe, even when you cannot fully button your pants
- Can be used post-pregnancy when you start to get back into your pre-pregnancy pants
- At some point you need to accept that this ‘just isn’t working’ and move onto the real thing
After awhile a pants extender, like a belly band, just isn’t going to cut it.You’ll want to invest in a few true maternity pant styles for work. Here’s a breakdown on your style options…
- Demi Panel – Features a few inches of thick stretchy fabric at the waist band to allow for extra stretch
- Great fit for a smaller bump
- Perfect to wear in the transition post-baby before you dare trying on your pre-pregnancy wardrobe
- More difficult to wear the larger your belly grows
- Full Panel – Features a panel of stretch fabric that pulls over your belly (referred to by my husband, Dan IV, as my ‘Urkel’ pants)
- Great fit for a larger belly
- Fits through many stages of pregnancy
- Many black pants feature a black panel which can be difficult to wear with light colored tops
- Don’t hold up as well post-pregnancy
If you want to get more wear our of your current wardrobe and are early in your pregnancy, pick-up a belly band. You can find them at your local Target. However, as you start moving into your second and third trimester you’ll want to ante up for both a demi and full panel pair of work pants. They fit better which allows you to be more comfortable – as you grow you’ll appreciate any extra source of comfort!
DRESS IT UP… OR DOWN
Be on the lookout for a few versatile dresses that allow you some room to grow. Maternity dresses have the uncanny knack of fitting your your bump impeccably. Stick with a few basics for work, a black sleeveless for instance, that you can get a lot of mileage out of by switching up jewelry and cardigans for maximum wear-ability.
WHERE TO SHOP
- Motherhood Maternity – Great pieces at a great prices, be sure to grab some pants and jeans.
- Motherhood Maternity is different from Destination Maternity, which has pricier items.
- Gap – Great pants for work, on point and in style.
- Ann Taylor Loft – They offer both maternity and non-maternity options and tend to feature some non-maternity flowy tops that made up my go-to staples. Plus they’re always having a sale.
- Sign-up for their email and never buy anything full price again! No really though, I honestly will not purchase anything there full price.
- Target – Take advantage of their mobile coupons to get discounts on maternity items.